There are a number of methods that can be used to increase your soybean crop yield this season. At Pro-Soil Agricultural Solutions, we recommend following the guidelines listed below to ensure a strong crop and a bountiful harvest:
- Reduce soil compaction during fall tillage and harvest operations. Compacted soil will restrict root growth and limit the uptake of vital nutrients, most importantly potassium.
- Monitor soil nutrient content and pH levels. An ideal soil pH should be between 6.0 and 6.5 . Studies from the University of Wisconsin have shown that a pH level above 6.4 can dramatically increase soybean cyst nematode populations.
- If applying lime to your soils, do it at least 6 months prior to planting.
- Use only the highest-yielding, well adapted varieties of soybeans. This is one of the most important factors in determining your yield potential.
- Repair and calibrate your planting equipment to ensure even seed spacing and planting depth.
- Perform weed control operations prior to planting. Skipping this step will only result in headache down the road as your crop struggles to compete.
- Monitor soil conditions prior to planting. Having soil temperatures higher than 50 degrees with uniform moisture content will greatly benefit your starting crop.
- Plant soybeans at the proper time. This time varies depending on where you live, so be sure to identify the local recommended planting window.
- Inoculate your soybean seeds. Studies from Michigan State University have shown a 1.3 bushel per acre yield increase when inoculants are used.
- Plant at the recommended seeding rates.
- Create narrow planting rows to increase soybean yield.
- Monitor your crop carefully, especially at the beginning of emergence. This typically takes place 6 to 14 days after planting.
- Carefully apply fertilizers and soil bio-stimulants, such as Pro-Soil Foundation, and monitor the results to avoid over-fertilizing.
- Harvest during the peak harvest window to ensure optimal soybean yield.
Following these recommended guidelines could be the first step towards producing a record-breaking soybean harvest this season! Consider utilizing Pro-Soil agricultural products to supplement your existing fertilizer regimen, and contact us for specific application guidelines.